Best BBQ Chicken Ever
Posted by Thomas Sedita Jr on
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Method: Indirect Medium-High Heat (400 – 450 F)
Grilling Time: 40-50 min
Additional Tools: 1 or 2 Primal Grilling Cedar Planks Soaked in water for at least 1 hour*
*2 breast per plank, Its not necessary to get all 3 breast on the plank. See step 8 for more details.
1/2 teaspoon of Cumin
1 teaspoon of Chile Pepper
1 teaspoon of Cayenne Powder
1 teaspoon of Paprika Powder
1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
3 Bone-In Chicken Breast
- Make sure you plank is soaking. 1 hour is OK but 2 hours is preferred
- Mix all of the rub ingredients in a small bowl
- Separate but do not detach the skin from the breast by running your fingers underneath the skin as far as possible. The goal is to create a pocket under the skin so the spices can penetrate the meat.
- Using a teaspoon, drop a scoop of rub underneath the skin of each breast, and then work the rub all around the inside with your fingers
- Spread the remaining rub from your bowl all around the outside of the chicken breast
- Let your chicken rest outside the fridge while you prepare your grill for indirect cooking over medium heat
- Once the grill is setup for indirect heat, place your plank on the opposite side of the heat source. Indirect Cooking
- Place your chicken breast onto the planks. 3 large breast may be tough to fit on 1 plank. I recommend placing two breast on and keeping the 3rd close by. The cedar aroma will still penetrate the 3rd breast. Or use a 2nd plank, especially if you use 4 breast
- Close the lid and keep it closed as much as possible. During this time monitor the cedar aroma. Depending on your preference you may want to slid your plank more toward the heat source to create more cedar aroma. The closer you move the plank the more cedar flavor you will create. Keep an eye out for flareups.
- After approximately 30 minutes on the plank, brush on your favorite BBQ sauce. Replace the lid and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- The last 5-10 minutes you will remove the breast from the planks and cook them over direct heat on both sides to create a crispy outside.
- Serve on the grilling plank for a top chef presentation, and to add a beautiful aroma to your dinner table. 165 degree fahrenheit is the FDA recommend internal temperature for chicken.
Share this post